Wednesday, September 2, 2009

the patient that touches my heart

I have a gentleman that i have now been caring for for about two months. He is an elderly gentleman from a country in east Africa. He wears a top hat and a suit to every visit, even when he does not feel well.
He is small, weighing about 110 pounds. His skin is dark and his teeth are bright but stained. He has been HIV positive for about 6 years. His source of infection is unclear.. and really it does not matter.. his wife is also HIV positive. He has moved here to live with his son. His son is a delightful loving respectful son. You can see the love these men feel for each other when they look at one another.
My patient arrived quite ill, severely anemic requiring transfusions, several times. We have shifted his medications.. we have treated his pain so that he is feeling well. comfortable.

One my second encounter with this patient he stood at the end of our visit and he placed his hand on my chest and he called me "mother". His son said that was a nice respectful term for his healer. I began to cry. He moved me deeply to my core. I have never had that deep sense of connection with a patient. Even though we do not speak the same language, HE really let me know that I AM CARING for him. That he can feel cared for by me. That gave my an enormous sence of value and self worth.
This most gracious and kind man was thanking me for careing for him. HE changed my life that day..he gave me strength and he reminded me why I was called to this role. I have a deep love for this man and I am so grateful that he has arrived in my life. Whenever he enters the clinic my soul is fed. my heart is reawakened again. I thank my friend for the smile he gives me at every visit. He is my gift.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily

    I just read all your posts and think it's wonderful what you are writing about. I was involved in the mid '90s, with the Napa Valley AIDS Project for about 5 years; 3 of those 5 were spent serving on the Board of Directors. I don't know what the answer is...you'd think education, but there are still so many folks who believe it can never happen to them; however, some do listen and for those folks, you must keep doing what you are doing.

    I commend you! Deb

    ReplyDelete