Monday, October 5, 2009

My dear man from Africa

Several weeks ago I told you about my older dear gentleman from Africa. He has multiple medical problems. We have been trying to get him insurance coverage because he needs a hematologist and a nephrologist (blood and kidney). Initially we are able to g et him ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program). This is a state program that ensures that all people with HIV get the antiretroviral medicatons that they need. No matter your financial situation or your immigration status you will get your HIV meds.
When you get ADAP you are eligible for County innsurance (if you do not qualify for medi-cal). So all of our undocumented patient will get the county coverage. If you are here illigally you can get care. Well, my dear man was here on a tourist VISA and because her was "legal" he did not qualify. Becasue of this he has to travel back to his home country for three months and will hopefull get a visa to return. Imagine the care that will be available??????
At the clinic where I work, we have funds to provide care and labs for our clients. But, if a patient like my dear man, needs additional care it is not available.
This is really getting to me. First of all, he will not be able to get appropriate care in his home country. This dear man is very ill and because of insurance and immigration he actually may die from his illness. We have assisted this dear man with getting him enough medications to last for three months t control his HIV. THis is crucial to prevent resistance to his medications. We must also protect his kidneys and won't be able to monitor his labs for the three months that he is gone. I am so afraid for him.
I know that we have lots of feeling about covering non citizens... but this is a human being, a dear sweet man who has been infected by a horrible virus and it seems that as humans it is our responsibility to care for another human being. Bend the rules. Care for this man. In the big scheme of financial spending his needs are minimal.
I will worry for this man every day that he is gone. I will await his return and hope that he survives the madatory hoops that he must jump though. Imagine how his son feels. Imagine if this was your father. The whole situation breaks my heart.
Keep this dear man in your heart. I will let you know when he return. Hopefully he will.

No comments:

Post a Comment